Auckland Integrative Medical Centre (AIM)
Auckland Integrative Medicine Centre (AIM) is a general medical practice founded by Dr. Jan Raymond. The philosophy of AIM has its roots in Dr. Raymond’s 35 years of ongoing curious exploration of the ingredients and pathways of health and healing -mostly learning from her patients-. The doctors at AIM have developed a tremendous respect for the self-regulating and healing abilities of the body. Thus they work in partnership with patients to help empower them to support their needs at all levels…physical, mental, relational and spiritual, to achieve wholeness in well being. They are also particularly committed to support parents to empower their children to grow vibrant health.
Preparing and protecting yourself from the Covid-19 corona virus by Dr Jan Raymond, from the Auckland Integrative Medical Centre at Mother-Well
Dear Patients ,
Every year we coach some of you to build a strong immune system for Winter Wellness. But this year, with the Covid -19 corona virus outbreak, we have even more reason to live in ways that strengthen our immune systems.
Since Covid -19 corona virus infection has no specific drug/anti-viral treatment, prevention is even more important. We can prevent becoming seriously ill with Covid -19 corona virus in two ways:
- Protect yourself from contact with (someone infected with) the Covid-19 virus.
- Strengthen your immune system with a ‘ Wellness’ lifestyle.
- Protect yourself from contact with (someone infected with) the Covid-19 virus. Since the virus is spread from water droplets from the nose and mouth as well as from contact with faeces, basic hygiene is paramount. That means hand washing after going to the toilet , handwashing before preparing or eating food, handwashing after out in contact in public places ( supermarket, shops etc). Handwashing , Handwashing , Handwashing ! Wash your hands thoroughly with soap &water for 20 -30 seconds..(while you sing your favorite song or say your favourite blessing or prayer or gratitude expression. For further information on hygiene and other precautions such as travelling, or contact with travellers , please visit the NZ government website: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus or phone Healthline’s dedicated COVID-19 number, 0800 358 5453, which is free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Strengthen your immune system with a (Winter) Wellness lifestyle. The attached “Winter Wellness” sheet lists the simple lifestyle and interventions proven to increase your ability to fight any infections including viruses such Influenza and Covid-19. Remember that over hundreds of thousands of years of evolution our immune system has developed sophisticated complex processes to fight viruses ( the intricacies of which we still are discovering) .
In most people, Covid-19 is a minor cold like illness. It is elderly people who have existing diabetes, heart , respiratory and other significant diseases that are vulnerable. ( Also 71% are men) The mortality rate ( John Hopkins ) currently is around 2% but as of February 11 and the mortality rate outside China is much lower (0.4%; 2/464) . The mortality rates of SARS ( which we had in 2002 was much higher9.5% .
- Remain calm !!, prepare yourself,trust and support your body’s highly developed innate intelligence. The media uses sensationalism and fear to sell its news and is and will have a hayday selling the frightening aspects of Covid-19 story as it unfolds. Humans have evolved the “negativity bias” which means we are much more drawn to and remember the bad things that could threaten our health much more than “good news”. But ongoing chronic worry actually lowers your immune function. It’s not just the ‘stress’ but our response to stress that counts.
- Now is the time to get out in the remainder summer sun to have your body stock up on Vitamin D …expose as much surface area of skin to the sun for shorter periods before burning….while exercising (walking, cycling etc) is ideal . If you have dark skin then it would be best to start vitamin D supplement from April onwards 2000 IU daily or the prescription of 50,000 IU fortnightly
- Now is the time to do the other immune supportive ways of living as noted on the Winter wellness attached
For patients with possible Covid -19 corona virus contact and/or illness. Please, if you need an urgent medical appointment:
When you arrive at the clinic please stay in your car and text the receptionist of your arrival. Remain in your car and preferably wear a surgical mask. If you do not have a mask we can provide you one ( @ cost $1.00) before entering the clinic. The nurse or doctor will come out to your car and escort you into a special room for your consultation. You will then be escorted back to your car and you will need to pay for the consultation either online or post in a cheque. This is to protect other people at reception, waiting room etc.
Following these instructions and protecting yourself and your family and friends can mean that the effects of the Covid-19 coronavirus remain limited, and you continue your good health!
Jan Raymond, Auckland integrative Medical Centre
Books are now closed for Dr Jan Raymond & Dr Anna Harvey
The following practitioners are part of Auckland Integrative Medical Centre (AIM):
Dr. Jan Raymond. General practice
Dr. Anna Harvey. General practice
Dr. Kerry Lamb. General practice – Locum
Dr. Kerry Clancey General practice – Locum
Deanne Chandler. Registered nurse
Meera Daya. Registered nurse